Thursday, September 3, 2015

Lesson Plan - Want to Have, Love, See. Take, Give to Him/Her

I've received a lot of very positive feedback about my Week 1 Lesson Plan. Here is my lesson which I recently used to teach the verbs want to have, love, see, take, and give to him/her; and the nouns dog, money, and baby. I chose those particular verb structures, because they are high frequency, and because students already knew the verbs want and have, I could easily add on the infinitive to have and teach it as a single structure. It is not necessary to use those particular nouns, but to me, they seemed somewhat compelling for the story.

English version
Yoda sees Kim Kardashian. Yoda loves Kim. Kim sees Yoda. Yoda does not love Kim. 

Kim wants to have a dog. Yoda sees a dog. Yoda takes the dog. Yoda gives the dog to her. Kim loves the dog, but aww shucks, Kim does not love Yoda.

Kim wants to have money. Yoda sees money. Yoda takes the money. Yoda gives the money to her. Kim loves the money, but aww shucks, Kim does not love Yoda.

Kim wants to have a baby. Yoda sees a baby. Yoda takes the baby. Yoda gives the baby to her. Kim loves the baby, but aww shucks, the baby explodes.

Latin version
Yoda Kim Kardashianem videt. Yoda Kimem amat.Kim Yodam videt. Kim Yodam non amat.

Kim canem habere vult. Yoda canem videt. Yoda canem capit. Yoda canem ei dat. Kim canem amat, sed edepol! Kim Yodam non amat.

Kim pecuniam habere vult. Yoda pecuniam videt. Yoda pecuniam capit. Yoda dulciolum ei dat. Kim pecuniam amat, sed edepol! Kim Yodam non amat.

Kim infantem habere vult. Yoda infantem videt. Yoda infantem capit. Yoda infantem ei dat.

Kim infantem amat, sed edepol!  infans displodit.

Day 1

Day 2
2) Teacher retells story aloud and acts it out w/ circling and PQAs (sorry, no script this time!)

Day 3
1) Readers Theater of story (if you as the teacher play Movie Director with this, you can get students to redo their stage directions after each sentence to get in more reps of the language!)
2) Choral Reading of story

Day 4
1) Read/Draw of story

Day 5
1) Partner retell of story in Latin, using Read/Draw
2) 5-minute timed write of story, using Read/Draw as a story map

Day 6
1) Project student-written timed write endings and read as a class (pick out any endings which students wrote for their timed write, edit them for grammar purposes, and write them on a document or powerpoint)

8 comments:

  1. Did this today and it went okay. They are new to dictatio and it was a bit long for them I think. It was definitely compelling, though! One kid says you're "morbid." One note for you: in the pecuniam paragraph, you have a lingering dulciolum in the "ei dat" sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly, dictationes are not that interesting for students and for me the teacher, but the reality is that dictationes really do work.I will only do a dictatio once a month at the most. I like the fact that I can introduce about 8-10 new words in a dictatio, as opposed to just telling a story where I can get in maybe 4-5 at the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keith, how long are your class periods? I'm working with 6th graders in a 43 minute class time. Their attention spans are lacking sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meet daily with my classes for 52 minutes. For high school students, when I find that their attention span is waning, then I will change activities, or if it is during circling, then I wil chnage the type of questioning or turn to PQAs.

      Wow, I hold you in very high esteem for teaching 6th graders - that is a special calling in my book!

      Delete
    2. They are eating this up! They love it. Really. Can you just post your lessons all year? Save me some planning, at least for this one class?

      My problem is that I only have them for one semester. Then they go on to a quarter each of French and Spanish. I just hope they remember all this when it comes time to choose their language for next year.

      Delete
  4. Worked great for Ancient Greek, too. I used a version of the story today to consolidate understanding of 3rd person personal pronoun. The repetition made it natural to use pronouns rather than continuing to use the proper name.

    ReplyDelete