The following is a guest blog post by Miriam Patrick, a CI/ADI Latin teacher who has also taught Multi-Lingual (ML - also referred to as ELL, ESL, and ESOL) students full time. I have asked her to write a post about what we teachers should know about how to best serve ML students in our World Language CI/ADI classrooms.
When I was first asked to consider getting my ELL (aka: ESOL, ESL, ML, etc) certification, I wasn’t sure I’d go for it. After looking into it (and realizing how much I already knew about it), I decided it would be worth it. Since then I’ve taught many ML students in my Latin classroom, taught ML students in an ESOL program, and even transitioned to an ESOL program exclusively before returning to my World Language classroom. What I discovered was that I already had the skills to work with these amazing students, I just needed to adjust the context.
Working with ML learners can feel intimidating, especially if we don’t have much (or any) knowledge on what language they do already know and where they are in their English learning journey, but the same knowledge applies to them, no matter if they are learning their second (like many of our native English speakers in our rooms), third, or fourth language: ML students acquire language when they receive understandable, compelling message in the target language in an environment of belonging.
While I could likely write a little novella on working with learners of all kinds, I want to focus this blog post on three areas: quick shifts, activities that shine, and daily practices. In each area, I’ll provide a quick introduction and 2-3 ideas (with links where I can).
Quick Shifts
Quick shifts are just that: quick and easy changes we can apply to what we are already doing. These can help support our ML learners without having to write multiple activities or make large changes to what we are already doing:
- Allow your ML students to take notes in their native language… even if you are taking it for a grade. When it comes down to it, notes must be beneficial to the learner. Students who are acquiring extra languages need to be able to make connections to what they already know. Additionally (see points 2/3), consider letting students take portions of the test (vocabulary for example) in their own nativelanguage. If it is a simple vocabulary test, you can fairly easily get the vocabulary list in the TL and their native language and check their work with that.
- Provide multiple forms of input. We already do this, but we often start to lessen that support earlier than we should (I’m guilty of it too). Provide a picture, a gesture, the English, and, if you can, the word in the ML student’s native language every time. If you are unfamiliar with the student’s language, give them the vocabulary list ahead of time (in the TL and English with a picture) and let them look up the word in their native language. Allow them to have that list out as you do your instruction.
- Test without English. There are quick ways to adjust an assessment to allow for students of all kinds to show what they know. Consider doing a TPR quiz and give instructions in the target language. Allow your ML students to go a little later in the call and respond so they can see what is expected of them. Consider a vocabulary quiz with pictures instead of definitions. Students can draw a picture or match them to the TL vocabulary. Allow students to highlight within the passage and color code instead of writing proof for an answer.
Activities that Shine
These activities are ones that I’ve done with my ML students and they’ve remarked that they’ve enjoyed them or they were able to show me some great things in their work.
- Illustrated Texts - I love this activity for everyone. This could be done in a variety of ways, focusing on a variety of things, but I have found it most meaningful when students get to choose what to focus on and how to highlight what they’ve found important.
- Code Switched Passages - This activity, admittedly, takes some prep work, but it allows students and teachers to really focus on target vocabulary and/or structures using a known language. The research was done with ML students and they had very strong findings.
Daily Practices
These are things that I have started to ensure I do each day with my classes. I do not mark them as strategies for my ML students, but invite everyone to consider them.
- Expand your cognates and derivatives list, but don’t assume cognates and derivatives are clear. I used to provide cognates and derivatives in English to show how Latin has influenced my own language. Now I offer them in multiple languages if I can, but, caveat emptor, make sure you are clear on those connections and you are clear on false connections. The Latin word nunc is a prime example. It means “now”. There is a Spanish word, nunca, that means never. I used to just simply give the English meaning, but now, if I know I have Spanish speakers, I provide that extra context.
- Slow down, pause, point, as often as possible. I know that sometimes it feels like moving at a glacial pace, but remember that our ML students are filtering between more languages than many other students. If we aren’t (or can’t) provide input and support in their language then they are working, at best, in three languages: their own, our target language, and the English we provide. They need processing time!
- Check in with them. We often put the onus on students to let us know when they need help. Our ML students have been “trained” (often unconsciously by the system, parents, and teachers) to stay quiet and not make a fuss. They sit in classrooms nodding and desperately needing help. A simple check in with your ML students can go a long way to finding out what support they actually need from you.
No comments:
Post a Comment