Monday, September 2, 2024

Using AI to Generate Graphics/Images

As I have posted earlier, this past summer at the American Classical League Summer Institute, I attended Stefanie Gigante's presentation "Artificial Intelligence (AI) for Latin Teachers." I have already addressed on this blog how she demonstrated using ChatGPT and Diffit to create texts but she also showed how Canva can be used to create AI-generated images and graphics.


I decided to try this out with a bellringer. Since it was the second week of school, I wanted to do some review of vocabulary words from last year with my Latin 2 students and to get them to write the words down with definitions, so in Magic Media, I typed in the following words in English as my parameters - I also set it to "graphics":

When I pushed "generate," after a few seconds, Magic Media gave me a number of possible graphics which included visual representations of the words. Not every graphic used every word, so I had it regenerate new graphics until I found one that I liked. Below is the image, along with how it was shown for that particular day's bellringer:


On the next day, I reused that graphic for a bellringer, but now the focus was on writing sentences in Latin about the picture. 

Observations

  1. I love how I was able to use AI to create custom-made graphics. Instead of having to search for images/graphics which would fit what I want, I can have AI create them for me!
  2. The more random the picture, the better I feel for an activity like this! 
  3. Magic Media on Canva can create pictures and videos in addition to graphics.
What has been your experience in using AI to generate images/graphics?

No comments:

Post a Comment