Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Strive to be THAT Class!

I am now in week 5 of the school year - while I am still setting up classroom routines and expectations, I finally feel like I am back in the swing of things. However, I also know that many teachers have just completed their summer vacation (finally!) and are starting back up again in the classroom. The start of the school year can be an exciting time, because it represents a new beginning. There is still hope in the air, and the sky is the limit for what can be accomplished before reality sets in. I had a great summer of in-person professional development, serving at Acquisition Academy, CI Summit, and Fluency Matters Conference. As a result, there is so much which I want to implement that I learned from these CI/ADI conferences.

However, what is my overarching goal for this school year? Simply this: Strive to be THAT class (in no particular order)...

  • where language learning seems effortless to students, because the emphasis is on subconscious language acquisition by means of comprehensible input.
  • where both students and I each do our 50% to succeed in the classroom. 
  • where my classroom space is a communal safe space for everyone.
  • where students can learn about each other and the world through the use of the target language.
  • where the classroom emphasis is on language proficiency, not on language performance.
  • where I celebrate what it is that students CAN do with the language and not focus solely on what they cannot.
  • where while I may not always agree with every student politically, those students know that I still love them.
  • where students are praised for asking questions or clarifications.
  • where students are given TONS of different opportunities and ways with which to interact and to play with the language.
  • where students can expect and anticipate brain breaks (hopefully daily).

I am quite certain that I am missing some other important goals in the above list at the moment. What is your overarching goal for the school year?

No comments:

Post a Comment