Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Dictations Revisited

In students' return to an in-person, post-hybrid classroom, I have realized that they need A LOT of guided support. We cannot make the assumption that everything is going to be "business as usual" and that we can pick up from where we left off last year. As I have stated before in previous blog posts, I have entered this year with the mindset that students did NOT acquire any language last year (or at least the majority of students did not), so I need to focus on sheltering vocabulary (and not grammar) and giving them a lot of support in the beginning. While last year teaching hybrid in a primarily digital environment was definitely challenging, there were a number of revisions and adaptations which occurred to usual face-to-face lessons which I liked and am now incorporating back into my regular teaching. One of them is the dictatio activity.

The basics of the dictatio still remain the same in terms of the activity itself. 

  1. I read aloud a sentence SLOWLY in the target language many times while students write down the words as I say them.
  2. After the 3rd time of reading the sentence aloud, I project the sentence on the screen.
  3. Students make any spelling corrections to their sentences if any words are misspelled.
Here is how I have changed the way in which I do dictations:
  1. I write all unknown/new targeted words on the board prior to the dictation with their English defintion in order to establish meaning right away for students and will point/pause at those words when they come up in the dictation. This way when students are writing down unknown words, they are able to understand the meaning immediately instead of waiting for me to project the sentence and having to ask then.
  2. I now give students a handout/digital document that has three boxes: sentence, corrections, picture/translation. This is something which my instructional team did with students when we were trying to conduct dictations virtually via Zoom (it did not work well at all!).
  3. Students will transcribe the dictation in the Sentence box.
  4. When I project the sentence, students will the correct spelling for any misspelled words in the Corrections box. If they had no spelling errors, they write Optime!
  5. We now do a choral reading of the projected sentence to establish meaning.
  6. I then give students one minute to either write down a translation of the sentence into English or to draw a visual representation of the sentence. At an IFLT many years ago, I saw Annabelle Williamson do this with elementary school students, and I was amazed at how focused they were in doing a dictation!

Observations

  1. Establishing meaning of unknown words for students during the actual dictation has been very helpful for students, because now they can have an immediate understanding of these new words as they write them down.
  2. The format of the handout gives structure to students as they perform this activity.
  3. The choral reading afterwards continues to establish meaning for students with the dictated sentence.
  4. The one-minute of writing down a translation of the sentence or drawing the sentence gives students something to do with that sentence (albeit for a minute).

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of keeping words available on the board during dictatio and of showing students the correct sentence immediately, rather than after I've looked at their work and noticed their errors. I am curious, though. I've always given dictation using familiar language from stories we've built and/or read. It's a way to check comprehension and allow for very guided written production. If you're sheltering vocabulary, what sort of unfamiliar words would you include in dictation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good question. The words which I post are either new target vocabulary or are untargeted icing words which are needed solely for that passage.

      Delete