Thursday, July 15, 2021

"Is This Relevant?" Activity

This is a really great post-reading strategy which I learned from Carol Gaab back in 2014. I have not implemented it in years and just flat out forgot out about it (hence I had not written up about it here on my blog), but in looking over past years' lesson plans (as I prepare to teach face-to-face again. I feel like I am having to reteach myself how to do it all again after 15 months of digital/hybrid), I came across it again. I absolutely LOVE this activity.

The premise of this activity is quite simple: based on a reading which you have been reviewing, project a list of additional "facts" onto your screen and ask students if that fact is particularly relevant to the story or helps explain something or why characters act/react the way in which they do.

Example:

Latin (adapted from CLC Stage 7 Model Sentences):

Grumio et Clemens per viam ambulabant. canis subito latravit. Grumio canem timebat. "pestis!" clamavit Grumio. Clemens erat fortis. sed canis Clementem superavit. Quintus per viam ambulabat, et clamorem audivit. canis Clementem vexabat. Quintus canem pulsavit. Grumio et Clemens erant laeti, et Quintum laudaverunt.

English:

Grumio and Clemens were walking through the road. Suddenly a dog barked. Grumio was afraid of the dog. "Pest!" shouted Grumio. Clemens was brave, but the dog overcame Clemens. Quintus was walking through the road, and heard a shout. The dog was harassing Clemens. Quintus punched the dog. Grumio and Clemens were happy and praised Quintus.

  1. Grumio patrem canis necaverat (Grumio had killed the dog's father)
  2. Clemens felem habet (Clemens has a cat)
  3. Grumio fratrem habet (Grumio has a brother)
  4. Canis est rabiosus (the dog is rabid)
  5. Quintus est pugilosus (Quintus is a boxer)
  6. Quintus in magna domo habitat (Quintus lives in a big house)

Observations

  1. What I like most about this activity is that it truly facilitates higher-order thinking in students. However students respond (yes or no), they have to justify their answer.
  2. This activity leads to some great discussion either in L1 or L2.
  3. Many times, students come up with valid reasons for yes or no which others (even I as the teacher) in the class did not think of.
  4. Often, students will change their minds after hearing the arguments of their fellow students.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to find a post on one of Carol Gaab's strategies. I wonder if you remember the demo she did back in 2017 which is similar -- "Is it possible or is it probable?" She showed how you can ask whether is it logical or is it illogical? I feel the same way about having to teach face-to-face again and I, too, have been trying to search for these strategies again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here is my blog post on Probable vs. Possible - another great higher-order thinking activity like you said!

      http://todallycomprehensiblelatin.blogspot.com/2014/10/possibleprobable.html

      Delete