Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Lucky Reading Game

This is a great post-reading activity which I learned about this semester. When I first explained it to students, they thought that it seemed rather basic and pedestrian, but once we started playing it, it really got competitive! This activity is from Senora Chase's blog, so I will link the directions from her blog below.

Lucky Reading Game directions

Observations
  1. When I first tried it out, I had teams of 3-4 students, but since my classes are usually 30 students in a somewhat small contained space, there were WAY too many chairs up front, which made it rather uncomfortable and difficult to manage. Plus, it did not give enough time for "resting" team members to review the story. Rachel Ash made a change of having teams of 7-8 students, which made now 4 teams. This was MUCH easier to manage up front.
  2. Keep the game moving quickly - this will keep students engaged and create a fast-paced environment. As soon as students pick a card, call up the next set of contestants.
  3. Once students began to realize how this activity worked, they really began to do lots of close reading of the passage.
  4. Show the scoring equivalences AFTER all questions have been asked.
  5. Every game, change up which cards receive 30 points to preserve the novelty. The scoring charts shows Red 3's as receiving 30 points, but the next time, make it Black 5's or something else.
  6. I will throw in a Double Card bonus every once in awhile to keep the game novel. Because students are still choosing a card at random, the bonus may not be as much as wanted.
  7. I have a couple UNO decks which I am considering using the next time I implement this activity - again, solely to preserve the novelty.
Thanks, Senora Chase, for this activity!

No comments:

Post a Comment