Monday, October 17, 2022

Three-Minute Brain Break - Lists

Apparently, I have been slack on brain breaks in my classes, because today a few students "cared very loudly" that we have not been doing them. Since we were doing a Write and Discuss AND I did not want to waste too much time doing a brain break AND students had pencil/paper, I made up this one in the moment based on a previous brain break - lists

It was 3rd period and I was hungry, so I announced to the class, "You have one minute to write down as many restaurants (fast food and sit down) as you can that serve hamburgers. I am going to write down a list too. After a minute, I am going to read my list, and let's see how many of them you match up with me."

For a minute, we all wrote down our list of places which served hamburgers, and wow, that minute went by fast! I read my list to the class, and students matched their answers with me. However, afterwards, I asked for places which they had written down that I had not mentioned. This was where the fun began, because students began sharing names of places which I had completely forgotten about. In turn, students also began to say, "Oh that's right - I forgot about that place too." A number of students shared regional places, e.g., Whataburger (Texas), Checkers (the south) vs. Rally's (the west), Hardees (the south) vs. Karl's Jr (the west), etc. NOTE - Del Taco does serve hamburgers, but Taco Bell does not. Lots of fun!

This all lasted around 3 minute. Afterwards, students were satisfied, and we were able to return to our Write and Discuss. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment