Tuesday, May 18, 2021

End of the Year Survey - The Hybrid Year

Normally at the end of every school year, I give my students a survey to garner feedback about the past school year in terms of what activities worked in helping them acquire the language, what do they want to to see more of next year, what they enjoyed, etc. This year, because of the teaching situation, I was very hesitant to give students a survey since this school year was, for lack of better words, so weird and as a teacher, I really had no clue what I was doing. However, I still gave the survey to my Latin 3 students (I only teach Latin 2 and 3 this year, and we have not done a survey for Latin 2) but with revised questions. I was very surprised and touched by their responses. Let me share what some of my Latin 3 students had to say about this year in Latin:

1) This year's Latin class has been very different from your previous Latin classes due to the pandemic. What are some digital activities which you enjoyed or helped you learn Latin?

  • The Gimkit and the Pictionary dictionary really helped with learning the words and phrases.
  • The Nearpod assignments helped a lot they engaged me and also taught me the Latin.
  •  I enjoyed playing Gmkits (sic). It was a fun competitive game that allowed us to compete while still learning.
  • i thought that the assesment where we would hear the reading and have to match it with the correct sentence helped a whole lot for my understanding of the passage.
  • I enjoyed booksnaps because I am a visual learner.
  • The assignments involving getting pictures and being creative
  • I enjoyed doing dictionary pictionaries and answering questions about the readings on Google Forms. 

2) What are some face-to-face activities from previous Latin classes which you missed this year and would like to see return next year?

  • Latin bingo, story scavenger hunt
  • Some Face to face activities which we missed this year due to covid, that I would like to see return for other students next year, i'm graduating so I won't be here, is the activity where we used whiteboards with expo markers to illustrate sentences from stories. I missed doing that. Also when we would draw the definition of words and then they would be pasted on the wall for future references, which was a cool little activity as well.
  • The highlighter game
  • I miss that drawing game where there would be teams, and each team would have to draw a specific scenario, and one team wins best drawing. I also miss the basketball game. I also would like to see that guessing game with the people who sit at the front draw, and the teams guess.
  • The thing that I really missed was just being able to work in groups and the group activities.
  • To be honest, I don't really miss any of the physical activities we did the last few years in Latin class. This new chill atmosphere to the class is what I prefer most.
  • I missed Hot Seat, Trashketball, and teaming up and drawing pictures that represented the sentences on the projector. 
  • Brain breaks and drawing stuff on whiteboards.

3) As difficult as this school year has been in many ways, what did you enjoy most about Latin class this year?

  • I enjoyed the stories. This year had the most interesting stories. I also appreciated the use of different learning platforms like gimkit, nearpod, and more. 
  • I enjoyed the short assignments on google classroom, they were easy, not much writing involved. 
  • The fact the assignments could be done at many times and in many places, there was the time in school but nothing held anyone back from doing it whenever they thought was best.
  • It was still very fun and engaging 
  • I enjoyed that the class was fun even though it was digital.
  • the flexibility with due dates and how we can resubmit our assignments to get a higher score.
  • I loved how Mr. Toda was very chill and understanding while making sure we were actually learning and having  fun. 
  • Having some asynchronous days for when the workload for other classes can sometime pile up.
  • I enjoyed the versatility this year. The activities ranged from drawing to answering questions and it was doable. This class, unlike many others, was easygoing and it wasn't so much of a load. It was definitely a class that helped to relax a little bit in that I could find images or draw. This is what I mostly enjoyed. 

So now as this school year is ending and as I begin to look ahead to the next school year, based on this feedback, the question for me is what will my post-digital classroom look like? What are digital aspects which I wish to keep, because they worked and students found helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment