Here are directions for the activity from Cindy's blog.
Example of one which I did with students - this is based on a Movie Talk called The Wishgranter.
1) Crossword Puzzle
2) Crossword Puzzle Clues
- This activity took about 12-15 minutes, as the opening rounds lasted about 30 seconds each, with the rounds lasting around 45 seconds by the end, since more time was needed due to less clues available.
- Because this is essentially a cloze sentence activity, students need to know the reading very well in the target language, since they are filling in the blank with the correct word.
- Because this is a crossword puzzle, correct spelling is important. If students needed help with correct spelling, they could ask me. I would not tell them the correct answer for a clue but only the correct spelling of a word.
- Students whose turn it was to take a break during each round enjoyed it!
- I allowed students who only had the clues to write in the answer to one of the clues listed on their sheets in order to give them something to do.
- Students enjoyed the "choice" aspect and that they could choose any clue to answer (at least in the beginning rounds).
- I did not think that this activity would become competitive among students, but I had some students really get into it.
As always, thanks, Cindy for your great ideas!